Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Dinnertime!"

Tonight's dinner brought to you by my baby, my BFF, and my pantry. I try to keep my cupboards stocked with the requisite handy items and sometimes I like to challenge myself to cook without buying anything new to complete the meal. Tonight I was inspired by my 6 month old (I wanted him to try yams - of course, I mean orange sweet potatoes - for the first time), my best friend (who recently told me about the deliciousness of the unlikely pairing of yams and avocado), and my pantry (which had been home to a lone can of crab for way too long). Dinner turned out to be twice baked potatoes with crab and avocado and a side of asparagus.

Cheesy Crab Stuffed Yams

Roast 4-6 yams, 45min in 400 oven.

Meanwhile saute:
1/2 onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 tsp thyme
3 cloves garlic, crushed

When fragrant remove from heat and add:
1 can of crab meat
1/4 tsp grated or powdered ginger
s+p

Remove yams from oven, slice in half and scoop innards into a second bowl. Reserve skins on baking sheet.

Mash or whip potatoes with a few dollops or butter, sour cream, yogurt, milk or some cobination of the above until desired "mashed potato" consistency is reached.

Fold in the crab mixture and scoop back into yam skins.

Sprinkle with grated cheese and paprika. Bake until heated through and broil to brown cheese. Add a few slices of avocado for garnish and voila - dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment